Quantcast

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

New Obsession: Boys Before Flowers

I've forgotten how quickly I can become obsessed with things.  Like tv shows.  Like when I had two weeks with little homework to do my freshman spring and I watched all of the first season of Lost.  (My studious roommate hated me.)

I'm going to Korea, you know, and I'd love to learn more about the culture and the language.  My brilliant boyfriend told me about Hulu's offering of Korean shows, and I finally checked them out last week.  I checked one out, and it was dumb.  At least the first 15 minutes of the pilot were dumb.  Then Charlee recommended some particular shows.

In two days, I have watched six 70 minute episodes of Boys Over Flowers.

Korean Drama: Boys Over Flowers
via fanpop

Holy crap, that's 7 hours!

Granted, I didn't have anything pressing to do, and, it is all part of my culture immersion.  By the way, I'm a little worried that I'm going to get over there and only know what I've learned from Korean pop dramas.  It would be like someone coming to the States and only knowing about Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, jeans, and maybe hamburgers.  I promise before you now to not be that kind of foreigner!

Back to the show, though, it's highly addictive.  I cared for the girl after 30 minutes of getting to know her, and, the boys, they're made out to be rich snobs who hate people unlike them, but they're developing, and I find myself caring about them already, too.  They do some hilarious things, and I say "what in the world?" every fifteen minutes or so, but it's quite entertaining and it's greatly exceeded my ill-informed expectations for Korean shows.  I recommend this post from KDrama Queen if you want to learn more about the show, its explosion of popularity in Korea, and the overnight stardom of its actors.

------------------------------------------------------------

These are the Wonder Girls.  This song was my very first brush with Korean pop culture, thanks to my "sister" Alice.  Thanks to her tutelage, I can tell you that most of the music scene is taken by many-peopled groups like this one.  I also think that I remember her saying that they don't perform very well live, at least not the Wonder Girls.  But, feel free to watch this video.  It cracks me up.


------------------------------------------------------------

To take you back to a totally different country, did you know that there's an Indian fashion Ebay-esque site?!  Thanks to Facebook for showing this link in their ads!  Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to Stylish Delsi!  I will buy clothes from there.  At some point.  Before I die.